The accounts payable job description is geared to assisting you comprehend the general job responsibilities and requirements for an accounts payable clerk in an organization.
An accounts payable clerk or administrator is responsible for the processing of invoices and issuance of payments. In addition to these primary tasks, numerous other tasks can also be designated.
You can tweak the sample job description to reflect the accounts payable duties, responsibilities and traits needed for this post in your organization.
Carry out accounting and clerical tasks related to the efficient maintenance and processing of accounts payable transactions.
Primary tasks and responsibilities:
- Analyze and verify invoices and review requests
- Ensure that the invoices are sorted, coded and matched
- Setting up invoices for subsequent payment
- Feed and upload invoices into the computer
- Monitor expenditure and process relevant reports
- Formulate and process electronic transfers and payments
- Formulate and conduct check procedures
- Post transactions to journals, ledgers and other records
- Verify accounts payable transactions
- Analyze accounts
- Keep track of accounts to ensure payments are updated regularly
- Monitor discrepancies in invoices and get them resolved in a timely manner
- Maintain an appropriate record of vendor files
- Coordinate with vendors and respond to their inquiries
- Formulate monthly reports
- Help in month end closures
- Furnish required information for audits
Education and experience
- In-depth knowledge of accounts payable
- Familiarity with general accounting procedures
- Acquaintance with relevant accounting software
- Skilled in data entry and management
- An accounting experience of 1 to 3 years in accounts payable
- Organization and prioritization skills
- Precision and attention to detail
- Decision making
- Communication skills
- Information management skills
- Conflict resolution skills
- Working in a team
- Meeting deadlines
This accounts payable job description furnishes detailed understanding of the accounts payable job in a company. Here is a link to other accountant job related descriptions.